Friday, September 15, 2006

What exactly is a Priority? How do we decide what we spend our time doing?

I have been puzzling over changes in my life and what my personal past was like for some time now. The birth of our first child likely has at least a LITTLE to do with any differences, right? ;^)

I guess, looking back at the different phases of my life and what I dedicated my non-working/school time to, I have been amazed by what changes there have been and what has stayed the same.

Of course, as many of you will understand, any "free time" has dwindled to the point of being less than I have ever had. I am probably years away from it going the other way, too, but I digress.

Case in point, we are in the midst of the beginning of another NFL season, and I have to confess that I can't tell you the names of the starting offense or defense of the Browns. Now, to most, that may seem like "Yeah, and what's the big deal?" (and you are likely correct.) But to me, that IS a big deal, at least compared to years past. Two years ago, I could have told you the names of all 53 players on the Browns roster and who was on the practice squad. No longer is that the case. Do I miss it? Sometimes. Not as much as I would have guessed before, though.

I have so few activities that take up my time nowadays compared to before:

- Work
- Deanne and Tyler
- Quartet and Chorus
- Church

There are so many things that have taken up my life and times that I don't do as much anymore or have gone completely by the wayside:

- Athletics as a spectator (football, hockey, golf)
- Athletics as a participant (Track coach and athlete, football player, golf)
- Outdoor activities (Kayaking, backpacking, biking, running)
- Drug prevention activities
- Computer and gaming stuff

Now, some of those things I actually miss a lot (mostly the outdoor activities). Others I don't miss as much, but I would be much better off in the health and well-being department if I could find/make time for them (athletic participation) but that time is not easy to come by.

Motivation and prioritization are such a strange thing. The true priorities sometimes lack the motivational backing to make them happen. I think I need to take a look at what and who I really want to be and re-evaluate accordingly. I am not sure I am going to like all of the conclusions I come to (Deanne may not either) but if I can succeed, my family will be stronger, my life and relationships will be more fulfilling, and I will be a happier, healthier person.

Easy to say, hard to do. I just hope my family and friends continue to be there to support me if I can be brave enough to make any changes that might present themselves. I won't be able to make myself better without them.

2 comments:

Heiney5 said...

Priorities determine our time , and ultimately our direction.

Stumbled on this blog at "random" ... Life lessons people share is encouraging. Hope your priorities continue to shift for the good. #matthew6v33

Heiney5 said...

I do know this is an old post too... ;)